Looking for an easy recipe to make for Valentine’s Day, Galentine’s Day or maybe just a little treat for yourself? You can’t go wrong with cupcakes! Inspired by a recipe on Pinterest, I made some of these super cute strawberry milkshake cupcakes for a Galentine’s afternoon this weekend.
Turns out the Pinterest recipe was a disaster, but I swapped some ingredients around and used a fail-safe cupcake recipe to create my own version. With a classic vanilla sponge and sweet strawberry icing, these strawberry milkshake cupcakes are sure to go down a treat with your Valentine.
Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes Ingredients:
For the cupcakes (makes approx 10 large cupcakes):
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- 30ml milk
- 6-8 teaspoons Nesquick strawberry milkshake powder
For the decoration:
- 100g dark chocolate
- 30ml double cream
- 20g butter
- glace cherries
Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes Method:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter to a bowl and beat until the mixture forms a sandy texture. Pour in half the milk and beat until everything is combined.
- Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and the rest of the milk in a bowl until just mixed, then pour into the rest of the mixture. Beat for a couple of minutes until everything is smooth and well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases and bake for around 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are golden and the sponge bounces back.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- For the icing, add the icing sugar and butter to a bowl and beat until smooth. In a small bowl, mix together the milk and Nesquick strawberry milkshake powder to make a paste. Add this to the icing and continue to beat until smooth and evenly incorporated. Add a little bit more Nesquick if desired to get the perfect strawberry milkshake flavour.
- Scoop the icing into a piping bag with a large star-shaped nozzle and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Set aside in a cool area to let the icing set slightly before adding the rest of the decorations.
- Add the chocolate, butter and cream to a small bowl and microwave for around 1-2 minutes, or until the butter and chocolate has melted. Mix well and allow to cool slightly so the mixture begins to thicken.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the cupcakes with a spoon and top with sprinkles and a glace cherry.
And there you have it, super sweet and super cute strawberry milkshake cupcakes! These are really easy to make as they just use a regular vanilla base and butter icing recipe, so all you need is the Nesquick powder to transform them into something a little bit more special.
Will you be trying out my strawberry milkshake cupcakes recipe, or baking up some other sweet treats for Valentine’s Day? Why not try my Valentine’s Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Hearts recipe too!