Autumn is well and truly in full swing at the moment, and I can’t get enough of it. It’s probably my favourite season (summer being the worst, ew) and every year I look forward to embracing the cosiness with blankets, hot chocolate, candles and all that other basic bitch stuff. To get you ready for hibernation, here are 17 things I love about autumn.
1. If the first thing that springs to mind isn’t “autumn leaves”, there’s probably something wrong with you. Whether you’re just admiring the scenery or jumping around in the piles of leaves, going for a walk during autumn is the best.
2. There’s nothing better than snuggling up on the sofa in your pyjamas as soon as you get home, and not feeling guilty about it because of those dark cosy evenings. Thanks, autumn.
3. Hot chocolate season is upon us. I don’t drink tea or coffee, so I always look forward to the time of year when I can join in with the hot beverages.
4. I’ll be honest, I enjoy a good blanket at any time of year. But they’re especially good during autumn when you want to be cosy but can’t quite decide if it’s cold enough to turn the heating on full blast.
5. Another benefit of darker evenings is that you get to see beautiful autumn sunsets on your way home from work or as you head out to dinner. That golden light mixed with the autumn leaves is just mmmmagical.
6. I’ve never been one for big birthday parties, but I do always enjoy looking forward to spending some time with my friends and family with plenty of food and wine. This year I’ve somehow managed to arrange six different birthday dinners, score.
7. I love Halloween. Back in my student days I used to host amazing Halloween parties with lots of themed food and cauldrons full of lethal cocktails, but now I’m more likely to keep it casual with pumpkin carving and scary movies.
8. TV is always better during autumn. And by better I mean X Factor and I’m a Celeb. It’s not even a guilty pleasure any more I just actually love it.
9. Autumn is the perfect opportunity to crack out the cosy jumpers, scarves, thick tights and ankle boots. Which is pretty similar to my summer wardrobe, come to think of it…
10. Hot water bottles are my favourite. They’re perfect for getting you nice and snuggly as you settle into bed with a couple episodes of Gilmore Girls on Netflix, then you can chuck them on the floor once you reach your perfect temperature.
11. The clocks go back during autumn which means you get an extra hour in bed. It does also mean darker mornings, but the extra hour is totally worth it right?
12. Another thing I love about autumn is going on little adventures and days out. Whether it’s a weekend away in a log cabin or just a walk through the local park, this time of year – with the brisk air, sunny days and beautiful scenery – is perfect for day trips.
13. Call me crazy, but the air smells totally different during autumn. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s just something about the crisp, fresh smell of the air that feels really comforting.
14. Even though I don’t really have any Christmas parties to go to (the downfalls of being self-employed), I still like to browse the shops at this time of year for new party dresses. Dark jewel colours, lace trims, velvet – yes please.
15. I’m not as much of a candle fiend as most bloggers are, but I do enjoy lighting a scented candle and cosying up with a good book during autumn.
16. Autumn is the perfect temperature for me. Summer tends to be too hot (yes, even in Scotland) and sometimes winter can be too chilly, but autumn is just right so it’s cool enough to wear a scarf without dying of heatstroke, but warm enough that you don’t have to keep your hands in your pockets at all times.
17. And finally, every year I look forward to cracking out my collection of autumn makeup. Vampy lipsticks, matte skin and burgundy nails are what I live for.
What are your favourite things about autumn?