Well, it’s officially back-to-work day and I definitely should have written this post at least a week ago but here’s one more reflection on 2013 if you’re not sick to death of them already. I wasn’t going to bother doing a 2013 round-up post, but reading all of yours has left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside so I thought I’d just do a quick run through some of my favourite blog posts, memories, events, products and all that kinda thing before we get too far into 2014.
Top 13 Blog Posts of 2013
1. A Love Letter to Edinburgh · Probably my favourite post I’ve ever written, I’ve got so much love for my wee city.
2. An Education · A little look back on my time at university and how fan-frickin-tastic it was.
3. This House is a Home · The one where I get a bit sentimental about how much I love my flat.
4. Home Sweet Home: Living Room Tour · It’s where the (blog) magic happens. I like it a lot.
5. A Night In · This one time, I made a fort out of blankets and watched DVDs under the dining room table. It was great.
6. One Thousand and Ninety Six Days · Reflecting on three years of elevatormusik. I think I love blogging now more than ever.
7. Top 5: Favourite Books · I love books. Especially these ones.
8. Adventures: Rediscover Hilton Doubletree at Dunblane Hydro · One of the best opportunities I’ve had through blogging (and my first foray into out-and-about vlogging).
9. How To: Perfect Cat Eye Winged Liner · I will never not love cat eyes. Let me impart my wisdom on you.
10. Barbecue Season · This summer was all about sunny days, wine in the afternoons, and home cooked barbecue delights. The best.
11. Edinburgh City Guide #1: Eating and Drinking · Sharing some of my favourite food and drink spots; must get round to writing up more of these posts soon!
12. The Scottish Bloggers Valentine’s Party · The first blog-related event I co-organised, and the start of a brilliant year of making great new pals.
13. Mixtape: February · My favourite mixtape of the year. A little bit sad, a little bit acoustic. A lot great.
Top 13 Memories & Achievements of 2013
1. Graduating from the University of Edinburgh again, this time with an MSc under my belt and a whole extra year of wisdom (or so I’d like to think anyway).
2. Getting the highest mark (and pretty lovely feedback comments) I’ve ever got during my 5 years at university on my MSc dissertation. Pretty proud of that one, plus I’m now your go-to gal for all things war memorial related.
3. Meeting and becoming friends with lots of amazing ladies through blogging. It really is a pleasure to be able to call them “real life pals”.
4. Still having the chance to have lots of nights out and fun times with my best pal, even though we now live in different countries. Yes, England counts as a different country.
5. Getting the chance to spend a large chunk of the summer at home, watching baby Fly grow up from a tiny puppy into a slightly less tiny puppy.
6. Being invited to some amazing events through blogging. Sipping prosecco on the rooftop of an Edinburgh hotel on a midsummer night, watching the sun set and being the last ones to leave, was a particular highlight.
7. Holidaying in Aberfeldy with blogger chums. Lots of eating, drinking and board games. Can’t wait to do it again.
8. Learning how to make (proper) cocktails at Laura’s birthday masterclass. And then drinking them all, obviously.
9. Volunteering with Doors Open Days and learning new skills, meeting new people, having fun days out and being able to use my blogging expertise for the power of good (ha!).
10. Going on a mini holiday to Aviemore with the parents and the dogs. Walks on the beach, barbecues in the sun, reading lots of books. Simple pleasures.
11. Seeing Alkaline Trio play at the Liquid Rooms. My all-time favourite band in a tiny venue playing all their old songs? Yes please.
12. Telling people about my blog. Might sound a bit silly, but after 3 years of blogging hardly anyone knew about my blog. Now, I feel much more comfortable telling my friends and family about it. Proud of my little bit of internet!
13. Spending time with all my pals, even though we’re all pretty spread out now that uni’s finished. It would be really easy to get slack on keeping up to date, but I think I’ve made a pretty good go of seeing as many of my friends as possible this year.
Top 13 Beauty Products of 2013
1. Anastasia Brow Wiz · for perfect brows
2. Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream · for a lightweight base
3. Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask · for super moisture on dry skin days
4. Illamasqua Powder Blusher in Beg · for a natural rosy flush
5. Bourjois Rouge Edition Lipstick in Rose Millesime · for perfect pink lips
6. Antipodes Juliet Skin Brightening Cleanser · for keeping skin clear and bright
7. Korres Pomegranate Lip Butter · for soft, moisturised lips
8. Benefit Dallas · for a perfect dusky glow
9. Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette · for easy smudgy shadow and liner, or defining brows
10. Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Foundation · for my all-time favourite foundation
11. Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre · for keeping makeup in place all day
12. Benefit Fake Up Concealer · for making eyes look wide awake
13. Vita Liberata Capture the Light Highlighter · for glowing skin and highlighted cheekbones
♥ ♥ ♥
What were your highlights of 2013?