I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Nando’s. Sometimes it’s the best thing ever, other times I’m just like “I paid £15 for a bit of chicken and some salad, and they didn’t even take my order?!”. Good news though, it’s super easy to make at home. I’m not even sure I should have put “recipe” in the title of this post, because it’s really is that easy – more just a bunch of ingredients chucked together and put inside a wrap. Anyway, I’ve perfected my Nando’s wrap recipe and here it is for you to recreate it in the comfort of your own kitchen (sadly no supply of endless juice though).
Nando’s Wrap Recipe Ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Tortilla wraps
- Peri Peri sauce
- Spices (whatever you fancy – chilli powder/flakes, ground coriander etc.)
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Mixed salad
- Sweet potato
- Halloumi cheese
- Tinned pineapple
How to Make a Nando’s Chicken Wrap:
1. Turn the oven to 180°C. Prepare the chicken and cut it in to medium-sized pieces if necessary. Add it to a dish along with some olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, peri peri sauce/marinade and whichever spices you’d like. You can buy peri peri seasoning for this, but I just like to use the Nando’s sauce (which you can buy in most supermarkets now) as it’s more multi-purpose. You can easily customise this to suit whichever is your favourite type of marinade – lemon and herb, mango and lime, hot or mild etc.
2. Meanwhile, peel your potatoes and cut them into chips. I like my chips small and crispy, but you could easily make them chunky wedges if you prefer. Add them to a pan of water and par-boil for around 5 minutes. Drain, and toss with a little bit of olive oil and any seasonings you’d like – I just stuck with a little bit of salt and pepper.
3. Spread out the chips on a tray and put in the oven. Check after 10 minutes, give them a shake and cook for another 10. While they’re cooking, peel your sweet potatoes and add to a pan of boiling water. They should take around 15 minutes to cook.
4. Around 5 minutes before the chips and sweet potatoes are ready, add the chicken to a hot grill and grill until cooked through. Once the chicken’s cooked, add the halloumi cheese and pineapple to the grill too and give them a couple of minutes to warm up.
5. Mash the sweet potatoes, adding a little bit of butter and some black pepper, and then get your salad ready – I like mixed salad leaves with chopped red peppers, red onions and cucumber and a little bit of balsamic dressing. Take the chips out of the oven, pop everything from the grill on to a plate and warm the wraps up for 30 seconds in the microwave.
6. Now it’s time for assembly! Take a wrap and and spread it with mayonnaise and/or peri peri sauce. Pile on some salad, chicken, halloumi and pineapple and wrap it up. Serve it along with some extra salad, a little bowl of sweet potato mash and, of course, some chips. Done!
So tasty and pretty quick to make, perfect for a weeknight tea. The only thing you have to watch out for is getting everything ready at approximately the right time, but once you’ve done it once or twice it’ll be much easier to know which order to do things in! The best thing about this is it’s so easy to customise – you can choose whichever marinades, toppings, sides and flavours you want. Yum yum yum! P.S. do you like my new heart-shaped chopping board? I spotted it on Ebay and couldn’t resist!
Will you be giving this Nando’s wrap recipe a go for yourself?