When I first thought about doing this post I thought it would be pretty funny, but looking back at these pictures it can only be described as mildly embarrassing, at best. I’ve also discovered that I’ve had way more hairstyles than I thought I had (although, to be fair, they’re all pretty much variations of the same thing) so I’ve decided to split this post into two parts. This one will cover the early (i.e. most horrific) years, and the next post will be all about my more recent hairstyles. So let’s travel back to 2004 and let the awfulness commence.
1. From when I was a child until the age of about 13 I had a straight across fringe. Became a rebellious teenager (erm) and spent ages growing it out. Had really long layers, it looked a bit boring but not too horrendous.
2. Wore my hair in bunches a lot. Also had terrible eyebrows.
3. Dyed my hair a slightly purpley colour, which wasn’t really that different to my natural hair colour.
4. Dyed my hair a bit red instead. Still looked the same. (Bonus picture of some puppies).
5. Hair stayed at this rubbishy shoulder length for ages.
6. Was a bit moody. Didn’t bother to do anything with the grown-out fringe.
7. More evidence of bunches. Nope, I’ve got no idea what is going on here either.
8. Finally decided to cut myself some kind of fringe. Also decided to cut my hair a bit shorter for good measure.
9. Put pink streaks in my hair using a home dye kit from Boots. Hooray! Also did a bit of posing in the kitchen, life was good.
10. DISASTER. Did not bleach my hair first, so the pink streaks turned orange. And stayed that way for the best part of two years.
11. Luminous ginger. Ugh.
12. Dyed my hair black to try and cover it up. (Look at how GIANT my computer in the background is).
13. It was very, very black. In fact, it was actually blue-black. The blue tinge tended to show up even more on the failure stripes.
14 & 15. The black dye started to fade pretty quickly. The ginge made a reappearance. Oh no. (Side note: apparently I put A LOT of effort into my philosophy notes. Time well spent, yeah?).
16. Tried cutting myself a choppy fringe and a bob. Ended up just looking a bit like a boy, really.
17. I must be about 15 or 16 by now, hair was starting to look a bit better by this point, the bob had grown in slightly and the straight across fringe was not too shabby. (Side note: really liked my English notes too, apparently).
18. Trying to use curlers was a bad idea, however. This monstrosity happened and I never curled my hair again for about 4 years. Eyebrows are also slowly starting to look a bit better.
19. Actually quite like my hair at this point. Almost back to my natural colour, messy fringe looked alright. Those pesky ginger streaks still tended to show up, however.
20. Those fringe-quiff things that used to be all the rage were definitely not my forte. Also thought I was good at makeup. Turns out, I was not good at makeup.
21. Practising my makeup for the 5th year prom. Look a bit like I should be in an 80s new romantics music video. Or, you know, an asylum of some sort. Hair looks not too bad, though.
22. GO AWAY ORANGE BITS, JUST GO AWAY I HATE YOU.
23. Then it came to the actual prom and I decided to dye my hair pure black and not style it in any way shape or form. Why why why. Also, these eyebrows make me sad. 🙁
24. After that disaster, decided to cut in a straight across fringe again. Didn’t look to bad apart from the rather harsh blackness. (And the orange eyeshadow. WOT.)
25. Kept my fringe like this for a while, had a slight side sweepy thing going on. Pukey green eyeliner this time, nice.
26. Had been straightening my hair pretty much since straighteners were invented. Started to leave it natural sometimes.
27. By now I’m 17 and this is the longest my hair has been in years. Got a side-swept fringe and some layers, looking not to bad.
28. Then it’s time for 6th year prom and another hair change. Got a ‘pob’ which was super-fashionable at the time (it was, I swear). I really liked it at the time, but looking back I’m not quite so sure. This was also the first time I’d been to an actual hairdresser probably since the start of this post, the rest was done by myself (can you tell?!). Oh and hello Mo’adore!
By now we have reached the end of sixth year. So, in conclusion, from the ages of about 14 to 17 I had pretty terrible hair. I dyed my hair quite a few times, but it was usually dark red, purple, brown or black – so not that different to my natural hair. I had a fringe for quite a lot of the time which I had actually forgotten about! It was also pretty short for most of the time. I love my long hair now, but I often get urges to chop it all off again. Stay tuned for part two of my hair history, from around 2008 to 2012!
PLEASE tell me you all had awful hair too? That would make me feel better.