Banoffee pie is probably one of my favourite desserts ever, and these cupcakes are – dare I say it – even better. They’re incredibly sweet but surprisingly not too sickly because the cake mixture is more like a muffin than an actual cupcake. The icing tastes exactly like the toffee layer of a banoffee pie and the slice of banana on top just finishes it off perfectly.
You will need:
For the cupcakes (makes approx. 18):
75g melted butter
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
115g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large ripe bananas
For the toffee icing:
220g dark brown sugar
240g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 190°C. Melt the butter (either in the microwave or a pan) and allow to cool.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and ground spices into the bowl, then add in the sugar. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, vanilla extract, melted butter and milk. Add to the rest of the ingredients and mix well until it forms a lumpy paste. (Sounds appealing, right?!)
4. Divide the mixture equally between paper cases and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Meanwhile, make the icing by melting the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add in the milk and brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil vigorously for one minute.
6. Remove from the heat and beat in half of the icing sugar. Once cooled slightly, beat in the vanilla extract and the rest of the icing sugar. If the mixture is too thick, you can add a drop more milk at this point.
7. With a piping bag, decorate the cakes with swirls of the icing. Top with sprinkles (I used white chocolate stars) and a slice of banana.
Even if I do say so myself, these cupcakes are SO good! I’ve quite often baked banana cakes or muffins, but this was my first attempt at doing a toffee icing to go with them. I was worried it might turn out horribly but the icing was actually so easy – just make sure your sugar doesn’t burn by leaving it on the boil for too long. Yum!
Are you a fan of banoffee flavoured things? Let me know if you try out this recipe!