Cocktails, Cupcakes and What to Wear

cc026

On Friday afternoon the postman brought me a lovely little package of books from Amazon, including The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and Eat Me. One of my friends was visiting on Friday evening, so we decided it would be the perfect opportunity for baking and cocktail making.

cc015

So as we sipped out first round of Cosmos we flicked through the books to find something quick and yummy to bake. We settled on the strawberry cheescake cupcakes from the Hummingbird cookbook. They tasted really good, but unfortunately didn’t look very photogenic! My kitchen scales are broken at the moment so we had to guess on the measurements, but I think they turned out pretty well considering! My mission this week is to buy some new scales and some piping bags so I can try out lots of the recipes and make them look beautiful. Lakeland here I come!

After going out for coffee on Saturday afternoon I just happened to walk past all the shops and notice they all had sales on, so of course I had to have a look. I bought this pink skirt from New Look for £4, but I’m not quite sure what to wear it with. I always feel compelled to buy clothes when they cost less than a fiver, even if they’re not my usual style or something I wouldn’t even consider buying if it was full price!

cc004

So this is where you lovely ladies come in, what would you wear with this skirt? Would you go for a bright top or stick to monochrome? Something with structured shoulders or a loose, oversized tshirt? Tights or leggings? Tell me what you think would make this into a great outfit. Hopefully you will insipre me and I will post an outfit featuring this skirt soon!

• Kate says:

I would stick to something monochrome, meself – black or dark, charcoal grey. I think it would love best with a vest/tank top for a night out, although you could totally dress it down for the day with a baggy crop top & a tights & flats combo! Although that's not very summery friendly, hehe. I really want the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook! Some of the concoctions inside sounds delightful, all the cheesecake & french toast sorts make my mouth water tenfold!

• I think a little black vest with similar shoes to the ones you have on, and then for the evening pair it with a leather jacket!

And I'm the same with clothes under a fiver! It seems wrong not to!

• I would wear a black jersey vest! I wanted to order that skirt from their site but it sold out in my size! Its lovely! xo

• Barbara says:

I'd wear it with something dark or monochrome, just because the skirt already catches your attention. I'm not a fan of leggins so I'd wear it with tights, maybe black ones with dots, you know which ones I'm talking about??? show us the results when you have already decided how to wear it

• Liv says:

i would have to say a light grey vest, with a really nice boyfit blazer, preferably black 🙂

I've given you an award on my blog , take a look 🙂 xx

• Becky says:

Gorgeous skirt. I love the color! ♥

• Indie.Tea says:

Maybe you can do both…like a monochrome shirt with a bright cardigan or vest or other layer?

• I love your cupcakes and cocktails night!! I love cupcakes so that sounds like a fun time to me =)

That skirt is adorable. You really could do a lot with it. You could have a floral top for a flirty look, an oversized white top for an airy summer look, or a black tank for an evening look. You also could pull off the super cute crop tops that are becoming popular. American Appearl is making them look fantastic.

I'm guest blogging at glad rags to riches and I noticed you were a reader. Though Maddie is away, she and I have been collaborating on fun posts. Don't be a stranger!

• Kylie says:

Oooooh, love love LOVE the skirt! I think that New Look has the best sales out of all the high street shops, wouldn't you agree? I found the best stuff there when I was in England. And Hummingbird Bakery! I've been there! Everytime I see a cupcake I instantly start craving them so must stay away!! haha

<3<3<3

• eleanor says:

hmm, i say a loose top in a dark colour or a print that had the same pink shade in it.

and those books sound great! i do love baking and getting packages in the mail 🙂

X

• Kasia says:

cute skirt! love it!
    😉

• libys11 says:

aahh that skirt is really stunning, girly and chic!! 😀 i like the vest idea.. 🙂

Animated Confessions

• What a cute skirt! Such a pretty colour.

• Alyse & Gina says:

Monochrome top with a statement piece of jewelry and heels!

• Scarlet Owl says:

£4 is such a bargain! I've been uhming and ahing over that book for ages, is it worth buying?

• I think it looks quite sweet with what you've got on girlie! it's super pretty 🙂

and I now really want a cosmo! 😛

a x

• Karla says:

Cute skirt! And nice nails on your previous post

=)

• sam says:

the hummingbird bakery book is euphoric! <3

• Raquel says:

I'd pair the skirt with a loose white tee or vest!
    the shoes are very cute, and would love to see those cupcakes, yum!

• Emma Jade says:

i LOVE that skirt! It looks so cute on you!

Cupcakes an cocktails?! Perfect evening or what?

• gillian says:

Thank you for your suggestions everyone, I will post a proper outfit with the skirt some time soon!

Kylie: I love New Look so much! I think it's probably my favourite highstreet shop, they really do have great sales!

Scarlet Owl: I would say it is definitely worth it, there's probably only 3 or 4 recipes in the whole book that I would never bother to attempt. Go for it!

• Rinny says:

That skirt is adorable! Although I wouldn't know what to pair it with…bright pink is not a color I would normally wear! But I'd probably go for a neutral color like black, gray, or white on top so as to not take away the focus from the skirt itself 🙂

P.S. You've been awarded!

• Jenni says:

that skirt has so much potential. I think it could go with tights or without. I don't think you have to stick to monochromatic. A great printed top would be fantastic with this.